Common Agile interview questions and answers
What is Agile ?
Agile is a set of principles for software development.It has the following features:
- Agile concentrates on frequent ,early delivery and continuous improvement.
- Agile focuses on early delivery of working software.
- Agile consists of cross functional teams.There are people from different areas such as business people ,developers,testers.
- It is adaptive model which allows the requirement changes to be accommodated at any stage in development.
- It focuses on working software over comprehensive documentation
What is the difference between Agile and waterfall models?
In waterfall model there are predefined stages.Once one stage is complete then the development moves to the next stage.Working software is available only after all the stages of development are complete.In contrast Agile consists of incremental development.This means that the software is developed in small increments or iterations.
Iterations are short time durations from 2 to 4 weeks.After each iteration working software with additional features is delivered.
What are the common agile frameworks?
- FDD : Feature driven development
- DSDM :Dynamic Software Development Method
- XP:Extreme Programming
What is Scrum?
It is a Agile process framework.The important roles in Agile are Product owner,Scrum master,Developer.
In Scrum the product owner defines the product backlog.Product backlog consists of all the features as user stories.After the product backlog is defined ,user stories are selected from the product backlog for a specific sprint.This defines the sprint backlog.
The features in sprint backlog are supposed to be completed in a specific sprint.Sprint lasts from 2 to 3 weeks.There is a daily scrum stand up meeting which lasts not more than 15 minutes.
What is Daily stand up?
It is meeting which the entire team is supposed to participate.Everybody is expected to tell:
- What he did yesterday
- Are there any blockers
- What he is planning to do today
What is sprint planning meeting?
In sprint planning product owner defines the sprint backlog.Sprint backlog is a subset of product backlog.Sprint backlog represents the user stories which needs to be completed in the current sprint.